Friday, October 17, 2008

Mail bag 2!

I'm still occasionally getting emails and facebook messages about the blog, which leads me to believe I'm on the right track achieving my dream of becoming some sort of menstrual pop-culture icon. Weird....

Anyway...

Dear Jamie,

First, may I say how much I enjoy reading your blog! :)

I wrote a blog recently on the Always adverts (y'know, the whole 'have a happy period' malarkey), and the blog ended up being about periods generally, and about period pain. I'd love to know your opinion on what I've written, and on the comments that have been left as a result. Here's the link to it...

Thanks! :)

Caitlin


I read your post and all the comments at the end. Things got tense!

I never really know what to say during discussions about period pains. I certainly know that some women have a terrible time with it every month, but fortunately I'm not one of them. So consequently, I really don't know what it's like to be incapacitated for a few days with cramps/headaches/backaches/nausea/what-have-you any more than a man would, I don't think. I understand it's a problem, but as far as physical sensations, I'm largely in the dark.

I do have a feeling that if men suffered from crippling cyclical pains, there would be a little more research on it, especially historically. Buut, I don't really have anything to back that feeling up, you know what I mean? I'll have to think about this a little more.

--Jamie.

Things did indeed get a little tense...it's always more difficult when it's people you know! I agree about the whole not being able to back up that 'feeling' - but I think there is definitely evidence to that effect out there. Take endometriosis, for example - there has not been much research into it, despite the fact that it affects a vast amount of women, and awareness about it is seldom raised - so many women I know had never heard of it before, even though it is a very real issue. People always say 'well what about breast cancer, that's something which affects only women and it has loads of research into it...but I think the very fact that you can only point to one woman-specific illness is very telling.

It is a tricky one though! I can see where the commenters are coming from, even if I disagree with them, and such an argument is always difficult when neither side is especially well-versed in the world of medicine...

Caitlin x



So go read Caitlin's post and all the comments because it is a little something to think about.

0 comments:

 

design by suckmylolly.com